Are you looking for some sparkly activities to get you in the festive spirit? Or wondering where to find the best Christmas events in Surrey for families in 2022? Well, you’ve come to the right place.
There’s an abundance of magical things to do with kids this Christmas in Surrey. Whether you’re looking for Santa’s grottos, twinkling illuminations, train rides, or Yuletide skating, we’ve got something for you.
Here’s our round up of 13 magical Christmas events for families in Surrey. Plus, we’ve added some fun festive activities that are happening further afield.
* Some tickets were gifted but all opinions are our own.
Cinderella at the New Victoria Theatre, Woking
New Victoria Theatre, The Peacocks Centre, Woking GU21 6GQ
- Dates: Friday 2nd December – Sat 31st December 2022
- Tickets: Cinderella
- Cost: Tickets from £13 pp
Nothing says Christmas more than a good old-fashioned panto. Oh yes it does!
The pantomime at the New Victoria Theatre in Woking is always one of our family favourites at Christmas and this year is no exception. We were invited to the press night of Cinderella and absolutely loved it.
The cast and set of Cinderella were fantastic. The star of the show is Brian Conley, as Buttons, who had us all laughing from start to finish.
Cinderella has all the ingredients to get you in a Christmas mood – a glistening set, singing, dancing, magic, and a happy ending. (spoiler alert!)
If you haven’t already got your tickets, grab some now!
Christmas at Kew
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, TW9 3AF
- Dates: Wednesday 16th November 2022 – Sunday 8th January 2023 (4.20 -10pm)
- Tickets: Christmas at Kew
- Cost: £82 (family of four)
One of the most popular Christmas events in Surrey for families is the magical light trail at Kew.
Enjoy our annual after-dark festivities with family and friends, as you discover sparkling tunnels of light, dancing lakeside reflections, and trees drenched in jewel-like colour.
Journey through the mesmerising flickering flames in the fire garden, spot larger-than-life illuminations and say hello to Father Christmas along the way.
Father Christmas at Godstone Farm
Godstone Farm, Tilburstow Hill Rd, Godstone, Surrey RH9 8LX
- Dates: Weekends in December and 18th – 24th December 2022
- Tickets: Father Christmas at Godstone Farm
- Cost: From £30 per child (includes admission to Godstone Farm)
The wonder of Christmas returns to Godstone Farm, with our ever popular visits to see Father Christmas and his friendly Elves in his cosy grotto. Catch the magic in our enchanted woodland walkthrough and let our wondrous story captivate little minds. Watch small eyes light up as each child receives a marvellous present from our toyshop and then the adventures continue around the rest of the farm. There’s Christmas crafts and cookie decorating too!
A Christmas Carol at the Rhoda McGaw Theatre
The Ambassadors, Victoria Way, Woking, GU21 6GQ
- Dates: Monday 19th December 2022 – Saturday 24th December 2022
- Tickets: Rhoda McGaw Theatre
- Cost: £18.15 pp (£14.65 concessions)
Journey back in time to enjoy Dickens’ famous ghost story, A Christmas Carol, at the Rhoda McGaw Theatre in Woking.
This is a captivating performance, which sees two actors portray ALL the characters in their interpretation of the Christmas classic. Subtle hat and prop changes for each person allow the cast to move seamlessly through the tale of miserly Scrooge and his night-time visitors. It’s a heart warming tale and perfect timing in the lead up to Christmas.
Ignite Fire & Fantasty at Polesden Lacey
Polesden Lacey, Great Bookham, Dorking, Surrey, RH5 6BD
- Dates: Thursday 20th October – Sunday 6th November 2022
- Tickets: Ignite: Fire & Fantasy
- Cost: £56 (family of four non-members)
Experience the enchanting effects of fire, light and lanterns throughout the garden at the National Trust’s gorgeous mansion, Polesden Lacey.
Ice-skating at Hampton Court Palace
Hampton Court Palace, East Molesey, Surrey, KT8 9AU
- Dates: Thursday 17th November – Sunday 8th January 2023
- Tickets: Ice-skating at Hampton Court
- Cost: from £49 off peak to £57 super peak (family of four)
One of the best Christmas events in Surrey for families is ice-skating at Hampton Court Palace. Visit the ice rink after a day at the palace or just pop down for a quick spin. The ice-rink has a back drop of Henry Vlll’s historic Thames-side Tudor palace, which is lit in an assortment of colours as dusk arrives. Surely, this is one of the best views for a festive ice-rink?
Mr Scrooge's Toy Shop at G-Live
G-Live, London Road, Guildford, GU1 2AA
- Dates: 18th December 2022
- Tickets: Mr Scrooge’s Toy Shop
- Cost: £3 + booking fee
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Equippers Church warmly welcomes you and your family to this year’s Christmas Celebrations. This live Christmas show will be the ultimate festive experience, bringing you your favourite classic Christmas songs, sing-along carols, familiar characters, and lots of festive cheer. Everybody is invited to this family-friendly experience, suitable for young and old alike.
Glow at RHS Wisley
RHS Garden Wisley, Woking, Surrey, GU23 6QB
- Dates: 17th November 2022 – 8th January 2023
- Tickets: Glow 2021 at Wisley
- Cost: £59.80 (family of four non-members)
Head to RHS Garden Wisley as the garden comes alive at night with fantastical illuminations. Bring all the family for a magical evening at RHS Garden Wisley. At Glow 2022, see the garden in breathtaking beauty as amazing illuminations light your way on a wonderful new route.
A Santa Experience at Bockett's Farm
Bockett’s Farm, Young Street, Fetcham, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 9BS
- Dates: 25th November – 24th December 2022
- Tickets: Visit Santa’s Grotto at Bockett’s Farm
- Cost: From £34.50 per child over 2
Enjoy a fun and festive family day out at the farm in Fetcham including a visit to Father Christmas, the Elf Passport Christmas Trail, Reindeer Food Making and the usual farm animals, soft play and adventure playground.
Santa's Victorian Parlour at Haslemere Museum
Haslemere Museum, 78 High Street, Haslemere, Surrey, GU27 2LA
- Dates: Saturday 17th – 24th December 2022
- Tickets: Santa’s traditional Victorian Parlour
- Cost: £5 (members – £4)
Come and visit Santa as he takes time out before Christmas to relax in his charming Victorian Parlour. Let Santa know all your Christmas wishes and if you are on his good list, you will receive a gift to take home for Christmas!
A Winter's Tail at Chessington
Chessington World of Adventures, Leatherhead Road, Chessington, KT9 2NE
- Dates: 26th November 2022 – 2nd January 2023
- Tickets: Winter’s Tail at Chessington
- Cost: £20 pp
Meet Father Christmas, visit Mrs Christmas’ magical kitchen and watch The Wild Christmas Panto as well as 10 festive rides in this year’s Winter’s Tail at Chessington.
Walking with the Snowman at Winkworth Arboretum
Winkworth Arboretum, Hascombe Road, Godalming, GU8 4AD
- Dates: 26th November 2022 – 2nd January 2023
- Tickets: Walking with the Snowman at Winkworth Arboretum
- Cost: Free for National Trust Members (carousel rides are £3 each)
The Snowman™ is coming to Winkworth Arboretum this Christmas, with 12 beautifully decorated The Snowman™ sculptures to discover. Soak up the magic of Christmas, with a twinkling carousel ride, warming mugs of hot chocolate and traditional winter fair games.
Palace of Light at Hampton Court Palace
Hampton Court Palace, East Molesey, Surrey, KT8 9AU
- Dates: 7th December 2022 to 2nd January 2023 (with some excluded dates)
- Tickets: Palace of Light at Hampton Court
- Cost: £43.20 (family of four)
For Christmas 2022, you’re invited on an enchanting festive light experience at Hampton Court Palace.
Encounter curious creatures, from glittering unicorns to polka-dot panthers and from lurking lions to galloping greyhounds, as you wander through the atmospheric gardens and historic palace courtyards after dark.
The Palace of Light at Hampton Court is a chance to experience this unique historic palace like never before.
Festive Heroes Trail at Painshill Park
Painshill Park, Cobham, KT11 1BE
- Dates: 19th November 2022 – 8th January 2023
- Tickets: Painshill’s Festive Heroes
- Cost: £30 (family of four)
Alternatively, follow a winter trail full of your favourite super heroes at the stunning Painshill Park landscaped gardens.
Massive presents have been scattered around the gardens and inside the presents are some larger than life characters you might just recognise. Go in search for Superman, watch out for Wonder Woman, hunt for Hulk and see if you can spot Spiderman.
Explore the gardens of Painshill and the magical Crystal Grotto while you visit.
Chobham Adventure Farm's Magical Christmas
Chobham Adventure Farm, Bagshot, Chobham, Woking, GU24 8DB
- Dates: tbc for Christmas 2022
- Tickets: Chobham’s Adventure Farm’s Magical Christmas
- Cost: Normal entrance price, with an additional fee for meeting Santa (£15) or ice-skating (£7.50)
The interactive magical Christmas experience is not on this year, but will return in 2023.
Christmas events near Surrey and in London
Finally, if you can travel further afield, here are some of the best Christmas things to do in Berkshire, Hampshire and London.
- 17 sparkly Christmas events in Berkshire for families 2022
- 11 awesome Christmas events in Hampshire 2022
- Christmas at Windsor Castle, Berkshire
- Christmas with Peppa Pig at Paultons Park, Hampshire
- Hogwarts in the Snow at the Warner Bros Studio, Watford
- Winterfest at Wembley Park, London
- Skate at Somerset House, London
What are your favourite things to do in Surrey at Christmas? We’d love to hear your comments below.
Pin for later: 13 magical Christmas events in Surrey 2022
All rights reserved
© Chimptrips. Republishing this article and/or any of its contents (text, photography, links, etc.), in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.